Thursday, October 27, 2011

Feels Like Christmas

Typically, I spend my Thursday nights writing all of the lessons that I procrastinated on for that week. Since their due Friday, I always put them off until the last minute. However, this Thursday night, I'm doing nothing... and loving it.

We had parent teacher conferences 4-8 pm Monday-Wednesday after a full day of school  - so after working those long days, we got today and tomorrow off! Today honestly felt like Christmas once it had arrived. I have been looking forward to these two days for ever. I even got to sleep twelve hours last night. When does that ever happen?!

The last couple of weeks have been a little different. Since I made the switch to special ed, I haven't had much to do since I was just observing and getting used to the change. This break has been amazing. I go to school late (7:45 am; late to me), leave at 4:00, and spend the rest of my night doing... nothing! I even got in the habit of going to bed at 9:00 pm. How about that?! However, those lazy days are limited. I have been in my new placement for two weeks, which means I have to start teaching again soon - I've use up my "observation" days. So very soon I will be back to the grind.

For an update on my new placement in 3rd grade special ed: it's new; it's different. That's all I can really say. I like the change, but it's just so different from 1st grade. Amazing how everything can be so different in just two school years. The kids are more grown up and don't really care about you like the first graders do. The curriculum is so different too. And of course, the teachers and paras are new to me also. It's been an interesting two weeks of transitioning, but it's been good so far.

Being away from my first graders has made me realize that I need to be a teacher! If you know me well enough, you know that I have never been sold on being a teacher, but finally I have convinced myself that that's what I want (for at least a year)! In fact, I've slowly started the job search process. Instead of joking my Uncle Jay that I would come home to farm for him, I decided to start the slow process of finding a job. I frequently get freaked out about finding a job, which is why I am taking it slowly. Today I bought resume paper. That was a big step for me! There is a job fair at K-State in a couple of weeks, so I will roam around that for a bit. Then I imagine I will postpone the search until February-ish or until districts start posting jobs for the fall. For those of you that are curious, I plan to sub in the spring semester. I might even do some subbing at my old stomping grounds - Southeast.

Like I said, I was able to sit in on many conferences this week. Since I know my first graders so well, I got to go back to those conferences. I was reminded how much I love those kids. They still say and do the silliest things, and they still tick you off too. Either way, they are great kids who always put a smile on your face. In fact, I see them about once a day, but whenever I see them, they bombard me with hugs. One day, I was literally hugged by 26 children at once. I felt so bad because they were in the middle of PE - I was such a distraction as I simply walked through the hall - but I loved it anyway.

Each day I get closer to graduating. We're coming close to a month. Thank goodness! I never thought I would wish to graduate, but I seriously could not go any longer. I have to get a diploma - and soon! December 10th could not get here soon enough.

Here is my list of things that I have learned lately:

  • When you leave 1st grade with Mrs. K and Mrs. S you eat just a bit healthier. No coke and no chocolate for me anymore. :) Good thing too. I used to eat like 300 Reese's cups a day.
  • But when you leave 1st grade, you miss everyone. It's been one of those things that you don't realize how great it is until it's gone. 
  • Everyone has their own teaching style. You may have to work with some styles that you don't necessarily like, but that's okay. There are many ways to teach; but no matter what, just do your thing. 
That's all for now. I sure hope that third graders get funnier, because I need some laughs to share on here. 

Until next time, 

Miss Everhart (third graders call me Miss Hart too and I'm okay with it)

PS: Go K-State!! :)

No comments: