I must be the worst blogger around, because I never make time to do this. However, right now, as blogging sat at the bottom of my incredibly full weekend to-do list, I quickly moved it to the top because it's the only semi-fun thing to do. A lot has happened since I last blogged, so let me update you. I'm going to be honest, anything that happened last week has already left my mind, so I'm just going to update you on this week.
Monday I was gone, so when I returned on Tuesday I was a stressed, hot mess. Tuesday I had a formal observation from my K-State supervisor. Pretty much, this last observation from her was a huge deciding factor in my grade (I think; at least that's what I told myself). You would think that after eight weeks of teaching it would have been fine, but with my usual luck, it was a train wreck lesson. Kids were so wired and it was just a mess. Surprisingly, I came out on top. My supervisor noticed my flexibility and that I was thinking on my toes and that the lessons idea wasn't too shabby. Thank goodness!
Wednesday was a straight up mess in our class. You always have to expect at least one day a week to be crazy. Here's a fine example. In the middle of my math lesson, I look over and see a girl dancing two feet from her desk. You probably are thinking right now that I'm going to make an awful teacher - and that I just might - but if you knew these children, you would know that their behaviors are not all my fault!
Thursday was Thursday - always a good day simply because it's almost Friday. Probably the best memory from first grade comes from Thursday. I go to pick up the kids from lunch recess. My good, silly friend "Bob" (obviously not his real name) is the only kid sitting criss cross on the cement (the other kids are standing in a line). "Bob" sits there with his head tilted - one eat to the ground, one ear to the sky. I don't see a problem with this... until I realize that "Bob" has filled his ear with sand and rocks. It doesn't sound funny at all, but given this student, it is the funniest thing ever. Turns up that when you get rocks in your ear, you have to go to the doctor to get them properly removed. The doctor was able to remove three more rocks. If you don't learn anything else from this blog, know that you shouldn't put rocks in your ears.
Friday is always filled with me singing the Rebecca Black song "Friday, Friday, gotta get down on Friday!" Once Friday arrives, all I can do is laugh. Today was a top notch day - in fact I would repeat this day for the rest of my teaching career if I could. We had an assembly where the kids listened to a guitarist. While telling "Bob" (wouldn't ya know, "Bob" again - haha) to wear his shirt like a first grader (shirt was on head), he responded with, "ugh, first grade is hard!" Haha, it sure is. We went to lunch - which was filled with mac and cheese, a donut, and chips - because it was birthday treat day. Glad to know that I ate so healthy today. Then we watched a movie and had popcorn for the class reward. We finished the day with a shaving cream party -- shaving cream on their desks. It was top notch and a total mess. Friday was a great day as you can tell!
I'm going to have to end this blog for now. I have one more week in first grade - can't believe how quickly time flies!
Thanks for reading.
Until next time... and GO STATE!
- Miss Everhart
No comments:
Post a Comment