Tuesday, December 20, 2011

The Endings

As you can imagine, so much has happened since I last posted. I tackled my last observations, two portfolios, graduated, and wrapped up the last crazy week of student teaching. It is such a wonderful feeling to be finished with it all. I can remember the first weeks and thinking about how 1) student teaching would probably never end, 2) student teaching would probably kill me. To my surprise, I did make it to the end, and I did not die.

I happily walked across the stage on December 10th to accept my very fake diploma. Nonetheless, it was somewhat a feeling of accomplishment. Honestly, once I received that folder with the fake diploma, I was ready to get the heck out of there. Thank goodness I was sitting by my good friend, Catherine for graduation - otherwise I wouldn't have made it. I admit, it was a long and boring ceremony and we mostly giggled the entire time - like good teachers would do. After graduation, my family and friends gathered at the Alumni Center for some grub. It made me realize just how fortunate I am to have such wonderful friends and family - thanks to you all!

Unfortunately, or fortunately (however you look at it) I was scheduled to go back to student teaching an extra week since I received my special education endorsement (they want you to get as much time in the classroom as possible). In that week (remember, it was AFTER graduation), I had two formal observations, needed to complete and submit my special education portfolio, and bake/get gifts together. Talk about stress! Let's just say that a week ago today, I was a hot mess. Now that I've made it to the end, you can only imagine what I've done.... NOTHING. Well, I've done a few things here and there. Some Christmas shopping, cooking, and serious cleaning, but that's it. And it feels so good. Sleeping until after 10 am, staying up until after 12 am, watching movies all the time, baking like a little homemaker, and shopping like I've made money the last four months. Life is good. And better yet? Christmas is in a few days.

Below are a few pictures of all the random things that have happened in my last weeks of student teaching.

 The dreadful portfolio that was FINALLY completed after some serious procrastination. This was only the first portfolio. I had another one for special ed. No worries, I procrastinated on that one even more. 

 The people who pushed me along the way this semester! Couldn't have done it without them. Shout out to Liz, Sha-ree', Lynn (Clinical Instructor), and Olivia.


 Christmas at Ware Elementary is kind of a big deal. We all stayed after school one night to decorate the hallways with butcher paper. This is just one tiny section of the hallway that a group of ladies did. Isn't it amazing? Butcher paper, that's it. 


 A highlight of my semester: Mrs. Claus (my mom, shhh) came to see my first graders!! 


AND... graduation! What a wonderful day. :)



I am so grateful to have completed student teaching. I have gone through so many challenges but have had so many good times. I love the teachers, staff, and students I've met along the way. I love the experience and the learning that I have taken on. And mostly, I love Ware Elementary.

Thanks to everyone who has pushed me on my way. And to think, someday I will be a teacher! (I can't wait)

To close with a quote: "Promise me you'll always remember... you're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think."


So long,

Miss Everhart





No comments: