Monday, September 12, 2011

You Look Like a Circus

Might I say that the funniest thing I heard today was far from funny and far from a complement, but those first graders don't know any better. To begin this blog with a bit of funny, here is the story: I'm wearing my glasses (a rare thing) and my dear first grade friend (he will remain un-named, but he is the one who says all the funny things I've posted) says to me, "Miss Everhart, you're funny." And my reply was, "..and you're funny too." I giggled with the excitement of winning over another first grader with my great humor, but that was not the case. He continues to say, "you're funny because you have glasses." I bite back a chuckle and tell him that that isn't very nice. But oh, no, that doesn't stop him. He continues with, "you're glasses make you look like a circus." I'm baffled, first. How do glasses remind you of a circus? And really, do I look that silly? Oh these first grade will always, without a doubt, say whatever comes to mind. Got to love truthfulness.

Today was a good Monday, big surprise (no sarcasm whatsoever). The best part of the day? Getting scholastic book orders in. If you're familiar with the saying, "a kid in a candy store," then you know how I was feeling. Way too excited. I might have gasped with excitement when I saw the package. Another great thing about the day? Mrs. K., the para, and myself have linked together to drink as much diet coke as possible. We alternate buying cases, and today Mrs. K and the para each brought a case - I anticipate having to buy a new one by at least Thursday. Just kidding - maybe? I kept my diet coke intake to one today, where as the others had a few more. On a not-so-exciting note, the lice has made its return to first grade! YAY - not. I insist that if I bring home a few of those white bugs I will just laugh, but I know that's probably not the case. I also know that if I bring them home, my roommate will probably buzz my hair off in wild anger - again, just kidding - maybe?

Let me get back on the actual student teaching/school track. I have taken on a few more duties this week. I'm teaching full time math and writing! YIKES! That leaves me with teaching math skills, social studies, writing, and full math. Next week I add reading. Which means I will be teaching everything! Bring it on? This week I have seventeen, yes, SEVENTEEN lessons due Friday. Which is of course why I'm blogging instead of working on them. Procrastinators unite tomorrow, right? I have another observation tomorrow, so say a pray for me please, I need strength, patience, strategies, and a heck of a lot of confidence!

Better include my traditional "things I've learned today:"

  • Find something to look forward to each week to help you get through the week. This week it's the half day on Friday. Next week it's that Bridesmaids comes out on DVD. 
  • Sometimes you must leave school before 5 pm. Just get the heck out of there. 
  • Rejoice in the days of having no wet pants (that was today!). 
  • Relax. Somehow relax. I'm considering investing in some bubble bath soap. 

Here it is, already 9:30 pm and time for me to go to bed. Don't you wish time in the day would just keep on going until you got everything done you needed to get done for that day?

Hope for a great Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, and HALF Friday -- Booyah!

Until next time,

Miss Everhart

No comments: