Thursday I was faced with a couple of observations. My lessons probably weren't that bad, but I managed to beat myself up over them. The stress of my rapid-student-teaching experience set in and I could begin to feel the pressure. {If I hadn't mentioned, I am dual student teaching - which means I have 8 weeks in the general classroom and 8 weeks in the special education classroom.} After a Thursday that never seemed to end, I went home to write lessons (of course) and get my fill of the one and only, far too trashy, but oh so classy, Jersey Shore. Oh the little things that can make you happy. {I probably shouldn't say that I love Jersey Shore since this blog is about teaching - ha ha.}
I somehow motivated myself to wake up on Friday after a short nights sleep and head out the door with a fairly motivated attitude and a crummy lunch. Friday seemed to speed by and I seemed to be right back in my teaching mood. I worked some counseling magic my Dad taught me during our class bully meeting to answer kids' bully questions -- too bad first graders do not know the difference between real questions and story time. Friday afternoon was one hot mess at Ware Elementary - we had Freedom Walk! All of the students, and I mean ALL 762 of them congregated in the gym for a patriotic sing along. We were all in red, white, and blue - the kids had their craft project hats on and waved American flags. We all sang a combination of God Bless America mixed with Justin Bieber - it really was a good time. Finally, we made our every attempt to have our twenty-six first graders stand 4-abrest (hello, impossible!) as we walked a half mile around the neighborhood. We ended the day with a school picture writing out 2011 and chowing on some red, white, and blue popsicles. Freedom Walk is an annual tradition where our students, teachers, and parents gather to remember those lost on 9/11 and those serving our country. It really was an amazing afternoon. Though the kids were begging for the walk to be over, it really meant a lot to see these kiddos so full of patriotic spirit!
This week also faced us with wet pants galore - and boy is that just thrilling! Not only do first graders still wet their pants, but they also wet their pants and sit in it for an extended period of time. My hope is that our dear first grade friends will learn how valuable a toilet is. I know (I hope) they will learn soon! Another thing we will work on teaching our students is that digging for "gold" isn't socially acceptable. One of our kiddos just digs and digs in his nose non-stop - that's just a boy thing, right?
I feel like much more has happened this week, but my head has been in a haze -- no other reason than just stress and being way too busy! But for now, here is what I've learned this week:
- When bad days come, somehow manage to make yourself smile. Usually, for me it's the kids. If that just doesn't work, then go home, watch some trashy TV, and go to bed, and hope that tomorrow is a million times better. Every day is a new day.
- Either leave school at 4 pm or 7 pm -- traffic between Ogden and MHK is terrible! Actually, take that back. Leave school whenever, but when stopped in traffic, pull out your notebook and start lesson planning - great use of time but totally unsafe.
- When things get rough, call on your friends who know the feeling. My other teacher friends know the feeling of a hard day too. In fact, after my rough Thursday, my parents called to say that my kindergarten teacher and another teacher had sent me a care package - talk about perfect timing!
- Don't just go to your job knowing that it is just a job, but learn your purpose.
- Keep close tabs on how full/empty your Aleve bottle is -- valuable supplies as a teacher!
Enough for now. Maybe you'll hear from me this week sometime - but it's looking doubtful because somehow I just get busier and busier. Happy 5th week of school! Only 4 more weeks in gen. ed. - bring it on!!
Until next time,
Miss Everhart
No comments:
Post a Comment