Thursday, September 29, 2011

The Joys

I know that there are so many jobs out there that are boring, heartless, and lack enjoyment. I have always thought about how I could never have a job that didn't directly serve other people. I know I'm not cut out to be in the business world or even be a salesperson. I may not know if teaching is for me; but I know I'm heading in the right direction.

Today was one of those reflective days for me. I was in a sad lull and was noticing that I was easily annoyed and frustrated - not a good combination for being in first grade for seven hours. At around noon today it hit me: there are so many joys in this profession - you just have to wake up and appreciate them. Today at noon, a boys dad surprised him. I never thought it would happen while I was at Ware, but sure enough, his dad who had been gone surprised him in the lunch line. Now, what do you have to say about that? Wow. I wanted to cry. Is there really any other job out there that can turn you around and make you realize how amazing life can be? Teaching may not be the career for everyone, and it may not even be the career for me; but I do know that it is a career that will always bring a smile to your face even on the most difficult days. When you're having a bad day, when you're disappointed in a kid, when they just will not stop talking, when everything seems to go wrong... there will be that one moment that will top it all, that moment that will make you smile for a good long while.

This week has been an interesting one. As always we have seen those unique personalities that those little first graders have. And gosh have they made me laugh! I wish my hilarious stories from this week were blog appropriate. It's great how kids will say the most inappropriate things and not have a single idea. Innocence at it's best. Tomorrow we will reach another Friday. Mrs. K will be gone which I guess makes me the go-to-gal. We will have a sub in the room, but you never actually know how useful they will be. I'm a little nervous, but I think I can do it. And if it really is as rough as I have had dreams about (yes, I had an anxiety dream about it) then I will just drive straight to Aggieville. Though, I don't anticipate that. :)

I did the count down today. I have eleven days left in first grade. I'm going to miss those little kiddos so much. Can't believe how quickly the time has flown by.

As always, here are some things I've learned.

  • You feel better when you don't procrastinate. I have finished all of my lessons that are due tomorrow - which has never happened before - and which is why I'm blogging. 
  • Dealing with parents: be calm, be firm, be real, be nice. Don't sugar coat it, tell the truth, and don't let them walk all over you. Let's just say, we've had some parent run-ins this week. 
  • Appreciate great professional development, especially when it gets you out of the classroom for a bit. This week we had some prof dev while the kids were in school. It was great to have a morning break from them while we learned a lot! 
  • A behavior strategy and a funny story: when a specific kid is having his normal melt-downs, we've learned that all you have to do is get out the video recording ipod and tell him that we will record his behavior and show his mom. In an instant he is under control. It's awesome. We don't actually record him, but it works like a charm. The funny part of this: the other day I propped it up and told him to leave it there while I went to help another kid. I turn around to check on him and see him do a shy wave at the camera, look right into it and say, "...hi Mom." HAHA wish we were actually recording that! 
It's been a weird, rough, wild week and thank goodness it ends tomorrow. 

Happy October and Go State! :)

Until next time, 
Miss Everhart

No comments: