In my second day I can already tell that I'm learning so much. In fact, I often find myself talking to the students just like Mrs. K does. She is such a great model that I have. She talks to the students in such a unique way. She uses a caring voice, but never hesitates to get firm. She uses words like, "first graders don't chew on their pencils," when a student is chewing on a pencil or doing something that isn't acceptable - this makes want to act like a first grader instead. I'm hoping that I will be able to learn fast. I'm nervous that I will not be hard enough on the kids - but I know that I have an awesome role model to learn from.
To close for the day, here are some things I've learned today:
- Always laugh. That's the only way you can continue to have fun in this occupation.
- Communicate well with others. It's much more efficient for everyone.
- Eat with the kids when you can. We don't have to eat with the kids but we did today and it was enjoyable. That's our time to "hang out" with the kids and really get to talk to them. It's one of my goals to continue to do this in the semester even if we don't have to.
A few tricks:
- When a kid asks to go to the bathroom and it's not at the most appropriate time just say, "If you have to go in five minutes, remind me." If they remind you then they have to go, and if they don't remind you then they are just trying to get out of class.
- When wanting to remove permanent marker from laminated items, simply color over the permanent marker with a dry erase marker and then wipe away. It's genius - go try it! Teacher friends: remember this because with this trick you can now reuse anything and everything in your classroom.
For a recap, today the students: learned a few more logistics things (lunch cards, milk for snacks, etc.). They did simple work in their handwriting books. For math they did simple stations (geo-boards, dominoes, etc.) that allowed us to see what they were capable of. A book or two was read for filler time and they also went to P.E. and Music. And somehow that brings us to the end of the day.
Sorry to make this even longer, but I wanted to let you all know that I don't intend for you to read these all the dang time. By writing on this blog nearly everyday, I'm simply keeping a journal for myself!
Sorry to make this even longer, but I wanted to let you all know that I don't intend for you to read these all the dang time. By writing on this blog nearly everyday, I'm simply keeping a journal for myself!
Thanks if you did read this. :)
Until next time,
Miss Everhart :) (or Miss Hart for those kids who couldn't remember my name today - haha)
No comments:
Post a Comment