This week has been pretty great. Of course, as the week went on, I added in a few more yawns, but over all it was a fun first week. Thursday and Friday ended on a fairly good note. I practiced my procrastination skills Thursday night by putting off my parent letter and unit pre-assessment. Later this week I also gained a few more (basic) classroom responsibilities - leading the About Me presentations and walking the class to various activities! Next week I start taking over story time. I'm telling you, very exciting things in first grade!
I have learned a lot in the past couple of days, so let's begin. Here is what I've learned:
- PARA's are the bomb. Always appreciate them. Enough said.
- Use other people. Not in a rude way of course, but ask people for help. After a side conversation about my geography unit another first grade teacher offered me some of her resources that I might be able to use. Score!
- Spend your money even if you're not making any. HAHA. Scholastic book orders just came in and I'm so thrilled. Sometimes you just have to spend a bit of money to make things great for the kids.
- Lie a little. This may only work for younger grades, but I have seen on multiple occasions a teacher tell a small fib to scare the students. Example: two boys come in from recess late. Teacher: "where have you boys been!? I was worried sick that someone stole you from the school." Sometimes being a little dramatic makes the point even if it isn't very realistic.
Funny story for the day:
Student is looking at my name badge and picture (where my hair is down).
Student: "Why is your hair down in this picture? Is it because you didn't want to look bald?"
Me: "Umm... do I look bald with my hair up right now?"
HAHA thanks for making me feel equally awkward and funny.
Sorry this wasn't an exciting blog. Those first graders have drained me! Now it's time to re-charge.
Until next time,
Miss Everhart (even the PARA calls me Mrs. Everhart. How do you correct that?! I guess I'm married to my cousin now??)
No comments:
Post a Comment