Tuesday, August 23, 2011

No Time, No Time!

I have no time now-a-days. I'm suddenly flooded with piles of lessons, documents, assignments, tasks, blah, blah, blah. I was just thinking "how am I ever going to have a social life this semester?" And without much thought I realized I wasn't going to at all. Seriously, I think I will have one night a week to enjoy myself (Friday) because all other nights will hopefully be dedicated to school work. Yuck, that sounds awful! Oh the life of a teacher.

Since I say I have no time, you are probably asking yourself why I am making time to write on a silly blog. Well my friends, the answer is simple. Today was rough, and I couldn't miss telling you all about it.

Those dear first graders had a "case of the Tuesday's." If you don't know what a "case of the Tuesday's" is, then let me tell you. It includes tears, hitting, talking too much, not listening, and general chaos. Sometimes it seemed like the day wouldn't end. We were faced with the challenge of pulling a multitude of strategies out of Mrs. K's 'bag of tricks.' When the normal Ware Bear positive reinforcer wasn't effective, we tried something else. When that didn't work, we tried something else. And when that didn't work, we took them to the bus and made them go home (it was the end of the day of course). As you can tell, nothing worked on the kids today. They talked and talked and talked. Sometimes I wonder if they'll ever get it. However, I have faith that we will get better. I don't know when, but I sure hope it's soon.

Even though this rough day left me drained and ready for a 6:00 pm bed time, I am grateful for it because I learned so much. Here we go:

  • Don't ever give up on the kids. When they are out of control and your trick doesn't work, pull something else out and try that. When that doesn't work, try, try, and try AGAIN. 
  • Keep your cool. I made special note that my teacher remained fairly calm at all times today. She never let her Negative Nancy show. And I ask, how on earth do you do that?? 
  • Ask for help when it's needed. When the student problem is bigger than you can handle, it's okay to get help. Mrs. K had to send kids to "room 4" twice today. Room 4 is what you all would refer to as the principals office. 
  • Drink coffee always. Today I woke up on the wrong side of the bed and was dragging in the early hours. Coffee can make your day a little better, I promise. 
  • Find something to relieve yourself after a day like this. If I didn't have to come home and spend my evening writing lessons, I would have listened to music, watched TV, or something else to take my mind off school. 
No worries, I did make sure to laugh today even in all of the chaos. 

Hope for a better tomorrow! Every day is a new day!

Until next time, 

Miss Everhart


No comments: