Tuesday, August 30, 2011

It's a Beautiful Day to Stretch!

For the last three weeks I have had every intention of going to bed at 9:30 pm every night, but if you could guess, that has not happened. I wake up sleepy, drag myself through the day with some caffeine while fighting some serious yawns, and end the day at my apartment with a serious case of ADHD. Today is a prime example of my "typical" day. Just like every other day, I missed my old-woman 9:30 pm bed time today, but tonight it's because I wanted to write on this here blog. So, let's begin. A lot has happened since I've last written.

As expected, I got sick. Not really that sick, but still. Thursday and Friday were not my prime days. Sore throat, itchy eyes, headache; you know, the normal signs to the common cold. Thankfully I started popping vitamins, Aleve, Zertec, and Theraflu. Yes, at some point I was taking all at once. (Don't tell Mom). I convinced myself that if I took them at least an hour apart I would be a-okay. No worries though, I made it out okay. I'm still suffering from an annoying drippy nose, but those kiddos don't bother that at all.

The weekend came and went all too fast; just like usual. My friends thoroughly distracted me and I got NOTHING done. If you know me well, you probably aren't too surprised. I ate lots of good food (since my roommate and I hadn't cooked for over a week), watched TV, went shopping, and did all of the other great things that "busy" interns shouldn't do.

Sure enough, Monday arrived just as quickly as the last had. I have learned to not expect too much out of Monday's. Usually the kids are all worn out from a busy weekend - OR - they are all hyper because all they did is watch TV all weekend. This Monday was a special Monday. All of the kids were surprisingly not a problem, however we had one kiddo who was extra "unique." I don't want to say too much here, but it was a day that left us totally challenged, frustrated, tired, and calling a parent. But the best part is that we are still alive! :) Through these first three weeks I have seen good and bad days in the school day, but I try to never let it seriously bother me. Monday night I was quickly reminded that even though I  don't let the school day bother me, my K-State portion of this semester would get to me. I became so stressed and frustrated that I (like many others already this semester) had to take a quick cry-break in the bathroom. No worries, I worked through my problem and I'm happy as a lark now!

Tuesday on the other hand was wonderful. I taught my first official lesson. We were learning how to use manipulatives to add. We used those fun animal plates as our "work places." The students make the math problem (2+1) in the ears of the animal plate with the manipulatives. Then they would move the manipulatives to the face of the animal plate to find the answer. We paired it with a pirate math game online. It was a blast and we had fun! Tomorrow I teach another math lesson. I also teach the first day of my social studies unit to another class. I'm nervous!

I think I've written enough for today. But before I sign off, I need to tell you all some silly stories. Since you've read this far, you will be rewarded (gesh, I really am a first grade teacher) by being able to hear about the first grade silliness. If you were wondering about the title of this post: a kiddo was stretching today, I said "bud, what are you doing." Student: "I'm stretching. It's a beauuutiful day to stretch!"

To top it off, the best story off all.... Student (same student, that is): "Sometimes my underware gets stuck in my butt." The student then stands and wiggles and says, "wiggle, wiggle, wiggle!" HAHA.

I've learned quite a bit the past few days:

  • Don't let stress get you down. That's a hard one. 
  • Find someone that can build you up when you need it. I have a great support that is there to help me and I'm so grateful for that. 
  • Buy every book from the Scholastic book order. :)
  • Drink Gatorade instead of soda, otherwise your teeth will be hurting all the time (personal experience).

Thanks for reading, friends!

Until next time, 

Miss Everhart (I'm not called "teacher?" anymore -- BIG accomplishments!!)


1 comment:

Rhonda Bethe said...

Andrea---sometimes a cry break is just what the doctor ordered! So proud of you teaching math!!! :)


Have a wonderful holiday weekend!!!!

Your Neighbor!!!! Rhonda