Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Ware Bears

Quick blog today, folks. I got home from school late and need to go to bed soon - oh the life of a teacher!

Today was another awesome day. The students started the day by giving their About Me presentations. The kiddos were to gather three items that describe themselves and bring them to school in a brown paper bag. Then the students share with the class about themselves with the items and tell why it's important. This is a very neat idea to learn more about the kids and give them a chance to toot their own horns!

The day went accordingly - nothing out of the ordinary. The students were a little rowdy today - which is expected every once in a while. One technique that Mrs. K used today (and I really liked it) was a "time out." The students were doing math rotation groups and were getting very feisty and loud - you could just tell it was too much. Mrs. K turned the lights off and had all students leave what they were doing to go back to their desks to lay their heads down and remain quiet for one minute. If they talked, they would add a minute. It didn't mean they were in trouble, it just meant that they needed a cool down - and it worked!

Another awesome technique that Ware uses is Ware Bears. Each student has a set of ten bears labeled 1-10 that hangs on a hook in the classroom. When a teacher notices that an individual is having good behavior (being quiet while others are chatty, etc.) they can earn a bear. However, you can also lose a bear. If the student ends with all 10 Ware Bears by the end of the week, they get to take part in a class Ware Bear Party. This method is awesome. The students are responsible for their behavior and can see just where they are. They are also the ones who move the bears up or down so they understand their good/bad behavior. I love this method! {I have been trying to post a picture but I am having some serious difficulties - look later for a picture of Ware Bears}

Here is what I've learned today:
  • Be confident. This is one of my biggest challenges but I'm learning to just do it. Have a confident voice and be decisive in what you're doing so you don't come off wishy-washy. 
  • Bring chocolate to school. You know you'll need it. 
  • Have fun with the kids. Like I said yesterday, you need to laugh. You also need to be light-hearted and have fun (when appropriate of course). 
That's all for now. Time to go to bed! Oh and guess what -- I start teaching my ten day unit in two weeks (a unit I haven't thought about yet)! AHHH But it's okay that it's so soon because I'm still so excited about this!! 

Until next time, 

Miss Everhart (Sometimes I'm Mrs. Everhart - I don't like that so much - haha)

HAPPY HUMP DAY




1 comment:

Ariana Stavropoulos said...

Ohmygosh! Your unit is so soon!! Just think of it this way..It will be out of the way and you can cruise through the rest of the semester and everyone else (including me probably) will be jealous! lol

Ariana